When it snows I feel like comfort food, like “Gâteau de Savoie”. It snowed this week-end. I think this snow day will be the last, as spring is coming. The next day there was great sunshine. Despite the cool temperature, it was a very pleasant day. We went for a spontaneous stroll in the mountains to enjoy these last snowy days. Nothing makes Giulia happier than walking in the snow. She looks around in wonder, listens to the sound of her footsteps, catches the snow in her little hands and says, “it’s cold!”, before exploding with laughter.
This walk in the snowy forest is a bit like walking in a magical and enchanted world. The reflections of the sun make the world sparkle as if the snow was covered with thousands of diamonds, lace seems to fall from trees, everything is glamorous and frozen. However, a tremor of the life hidden under this layer of snow can be felt. The forest seems to be awakening after a long sleep. A sleep that has lasted the entire winter. Nature comes to life with the rythm of the water flowing in the river and the singing of birds. Spring is not far away and with it comes the sun and aspargus, artichokes, radishes, strawberries, … .
While waiting for this renewal, a day like this is a final opportunity to enjoy a good winter dessert. My grandmother, on my mother’s side, comes from a small village in Savoie (French Alps) , Notre Dame de Bellecombe. One of the local specialities is the “Gâteau de Savoie”. It’s the perfect end to a beautiful day in the mountains. It’s a light and airy cake. I’s also very quick and easy to make. It can be enjoyed served with chocolate mousse or bluberries jam.
Gâteau de Savoie recipeSeason: winter
- eggs 5
- sugar 100 g
- flour 125 g
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°.
- Separate the whites from the yolks. Beat the egg yolks and the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour, mixing with a spatula.
- Whisk egg whites until firm. Gently fold the stiff egg whites in the egg yolks mixture, using a plastic spatula.
- Pour the preparation into a buttered and floured cake mold of about 12 cm of diameter and 9 cm high.
- Bake about 40 min at 180°.
- For a perfect “goûter” (afertnoon snake), serve the “Gâteau de Savoie” with chocolate mousse or bluberries jam and a good hot chocolate.