The weather is beautiful today, with spring temperatures. I am working with the windows open for the fisrt time in a while. The birdsong gives rhythm to this lovely day. Winter seemed long and harsh this year. This sun really helps to boost your mood. Winter is comming to an end and we can already feel that after a long sleep, nature is waking up. As season change, so do our food cravings. Finished are dishes sush as meat in sauce, melted cheese, lasagna and other warm winter dishes. This beautiful weather makes me want something else, perhaps a “quiche lorraine’ accompanied by a good green salad.
It’s a typical dish that can be found at the table of every french family. Quick and easy to make. The secret of a good quiche is simply to use good ingredients: cream, flour, fresh eggs, good butter.
When I make a quiche, I always think of my grandmother. My grandparents have a house in the south of France. When we go to see them for the week-end, we leave on friday evening after work. As a result, we arrive very late. I always ask my grandmother not to wait for us, but she insists on waiting for us for dinner. The menu is always the same: quiche lorraine and green salad. I must say that this quiche, enjoyed at midnight by the illuminated swimming pool, with a view on the Mediterranean sea, has a very special flavor.
Today, I don’t have the view on the Mediterranean sea, but I do have nice weather, the singing of the birds and a good quiche to enjoy while waiting for the Mediterranean sea.
Quiche lorraine recipeAll seasons
- flour 250 g
- butter 120 g
- cold water 5 cl
- egg yolk 1
- salt 1 pinch
- bacon 200 g
- eggs 4
- cream 150 ml
- salt, pepper
- Whisk the salt and flour together.
- Mix in butter cubes. Add water and egg yolk. Form a ball. Let it rest during 2 hours in the fridge or 20 minutes in the freezer.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°.
- Fry the bacon in a frying pan without adding fat. Remove the bacon from the frying pan with a spatula, without taking all the fat.
- Wisk the eggs with the cream. Add salt and pepper.
- Roll out the pastry and line a pie tin. Sprinkle with bacon and pour in the eggs mixture.
- Bake for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with green salad and vinaigrette.